Article: ArcelorMittal Submits Bid For India’s Essar Steel, FT
- The forced sale of Essar Steel seen as a test for India’s new bankruptcy rules.
- Essar Steel has a production capacity of 10m tonnes per annum.
- Essar Steel invested heavily in its main plant in Hazira in Western Gujarat, only to be hit by falling prices and gas supply issues.
Article: Oracle Leaps into the Costly Cloud Arms Race, WSJ
- Oracle plans to build 12 new data center regions.
- Oracle had $2.04 billion in capital spending in the 12-months ending on Nov 30th.
- Gartner estimates that cloud services market should total about $411.4 billion by 2020.
Article: A Powerful Mix of Solar and Batteries is Beating Natural Gas, Bloomberg Businessweek
- Solar combined with battery storage is giving natural gas a run for the money.
- Florida’s utility NextEra just added battery storage to their solar farm.
- First Solar has won a contract from Arizona’s biggest utility to supply power during peak hours of 3 PM to 8 PM.
- California has called on PG&E to use batteries and other non-fossil fuel resources to meet peak demand.
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is set to decide on a proposed rule that would allow energy storage services to participate in wholesale markets.
Article: Demystifying Machine Learning: An Overview, Oracle Blog
- Simple and easy to understand explanation for machine learning.
- Explains the business situations where machine learning can be used.
Article: 4 Stock Picks for an Aging Bull Market, Barron’s
- Financials would benefit from rising interest rates
- Stocks never fully priced in low interest rates, because the spread between earnings yield of 5.7% (P/E ratio turned upside down) and 10-year treasury yield was 2.9%.
- Over half-century the spread was less than 0.6%
- So, there may be more to this bull run.
- Alphabet (GOOGL), Lam Research (LRCX), Citigroup (C), and Cummins (CMI) look like good buys.
Article: Of Medals and Melting, The Economist
- The Dutch haven’t seen an Hellmann Number above 100 since 1997.
- Hellman number measures the severity of the winter.
- Hellman number is an index which is the inverse of the sum of daily average temperatures below zero.
- Since rivers are not freezing, it is upending their culture and endangering their dominance in skating.
Article: Bebe Delay, The Economist
- The French seems to delaying having children despite great benefits from the French government.
- If the birth rate recovers, French would surpass Germany as the most populous nation in Europe.
- The gap between births and deaths – which demographers call the natural increase – fell to its lowest point since the 1950s.